Baked Eggplant Stacks (vegan, gluten-free)
Before we get to the recipe, I want to tell you about this gourmet sauce that the good people over at Rose Romano’s Italian Gourmet Toppings shared with me. I can honestly say, this is one of the BEST jarred sauces on the market. It’s worth trying out if you are not into making your own sauces and want a truly gourmet sauce to liven up your dishes.
“My food is basic. Italians don’t smother their food in their sauce. They use sauces to complement and enhance their food, and not overpower it. And I wanted a Gourmet Topping that would be worthy of that tradition. And I’m proud to say that Rose Romano’s is.” – Rose Romano.
This sauce was the perfect complement to my dish. It combines all the flavors I love in a good sauce. It was sweet, mild and low-sodium so you can really enjoy all the delicate flavors it has to offer. It tastes like you simmered your own sauce all day and no one would guess it came out of a jar. It is also all natural and does not contain any synthetic preservatives. Take a look at the ingredients…
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Fresh Red Bell Peppers, Fresh Onions, Brown Sugar, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Fresh Basil, Fresh Garlic, Sea Salt, Fruit Juice for Color, Citric Acid, Spices.
Perfectly simple and perfectly delicious.
A big thank you to Rose Romano’s for sharing this wonderful sauce with me and my readers!
I posted the picture of these Eggplant Stacks on Facebook and it created quite a buzz!! So, at 7:23 am in the morning, I am writing away to share this with you all before the day gets away from me. And caring for three small children, it will do just that. 😉
I guess everyone loves Eggplant as much as I do!
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced lengthwise into ½ inch slices (18 slices)
- 1 (16 oz) Rose Romano’s Italian Peppers Marinara with Red Bell Pepper
- 1 (9 oz) bag of baby spinach, rinsed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil or vegetable stock
- sea salt (optional) and freshly ground black peppers
- dried parsley flakes
- dried basil flakes
- ¾ cup raw cashews, soaked in water 4 hours
- ¼ cup pine nuts, soaked in water for 4 hours
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ tbsp mellow white miso
- ½ tsp onion powder
- non-dairy milk, for thinning
- sea salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Place eggplant slices on non-stick baking tray, baking mat or parchment lined tray. Lightly brush both sides of slices with olive oil. Alternately, you can brush each slice with vegetable stock. Sprinkle both sides of slices lightly with dried parsley, basil and salt (if using) and black pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until golden brown on both sides. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Decrease oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain soaked cashews and pine nuts. In a food processor or high-powered blender, add remaining ingredients and process until smooth and creamy. Use some non-dairy milk to thin it out if needed. You want a ricotta-like consistency. If it is too thick, when you bake the stacks the cashew ricotta will harden.
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and balsamic vinegar. Toss until wilted and most of the water has evaporated, 2-3 minutes. Season with sea salt (optional) and fresh black pepper. Set aside.
- Lightly spray a non-stick baking tray with cooking spray, or line a tray with a non-stick baking mat or parchment paper. Make your stacks. Begin with eggplant on bottom, ladle sauce on top, baby spinach and then cashew ricotta. Repeat to make two layers ending with an eggplant slice, tomato sauce and a dollop of cashew ricotta (makes 6 stacks).
- Bake in 375 Degree F preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
Now you have a light and healthy meal to enjoy tonight for dinner. These eggplant stacks are bursting with flavor and will rock your world! You are definitely going to enjoy this recipe and it will be in your rotation for sure!
Enjoy and have a great day! Please share your thoughts to liven up this place!