My friends over at Baked Better – the makers of organic bread mixes – were kind enough to send me over some of their new pancake mix to try out. Baked Better Morningside Pancakes have simple and pure ingredients: 100% organic whole wheat flour, organic flax-seed meal, organic wheat bran, cinnamon, and baking powder. That’s it and that’s all we want to see in store-bought mixes right? =) First, I made regular pancakes with the mix and they came out great. For my review, however, I bring you these Homemade Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes of pure awesomeness. In my opinion these are the best pancakes I have made to date and the first ones I’m sharing on the blog. The addition of Cranberry Maple Syrup makes these the ultimate fall treat. This is breakfast perfection!
I am a woman who is all about tradition around here. One of the things I’m trying to do here on Pure Thyme, is to build a family cookbook with recipes I can share with my family and friends year after year. You are lucky because I am also sharing this virtual cookbook with you. I know I will be enjoying these pancakes during the holidays with my family and friends as a new breakfast tradition for many years to come.
- ½ cup fresh whole cranberries
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ tbsp arrowroot mixed with ½ tbsp water (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Baked Better Morningside Pancake Mix or other whole-grain flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 4 tbsp canned pumpkin
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Add cranberries and maple syrup to a small saucepan and simmer, covered on low heat until cranberries pop, about 5-8 minutes. Cover until ready to serve. Serve warm. *If you want a thicker syrup: mix ½ tbsp arrowroot and ½ tbsp water until combined. Whisk arrowroot mixture into syrup and simmer, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Cover and remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes or until it curdles (makes vegan buttermilk).
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, maple syrup, vanilla and buttermilk. Fold in dry ingredients. Stir until a thick batter forms, but do not over mix.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium to medium-high heat.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter for each pancake onto skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve with Cranberry Maple Syrup drizzled on top.
- Makes 10-12 pancakes
Adapted from Light and Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes Food. Com
Let’s not forget that it’s time to announce the winner of the Vegan Holiday Kitchen Giveaway…
Alicia from the blog Treble Tart!
What are some of your family recipe traditions? I would love to hear from you, comments make my day!
Well, I’m off to do some cooking for Thanksgiving…
Have a great day!