Chickpea Waldorf Salad (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
I don’t normally find time to post two recipes in one week anymore, but you are all in luck! I have two great recipes to offer you this week. Yesterday, you had the pleasure of getting some awesome Eggplant Stacks which you can find HERE. Today you get one of my all time favorite recipes – without that nasty o’le chicken – but chickpeas instead. I absolutely adore chickpeas – hands-down my favorite bean. Chickpeas are so versatile and I use them in SO MANY recipes. It’s like the superhero of all beans isn’t it? What can I chickpea not do? I know, I’m being seriously corny here, but I do love my chickpeas!
I served this recipe at my daughter’s Lily’s 6th Birthday Party and by the time I had a chance to grab a plate for myself it was all gone!! That’s when you know a recipe is that good. It’s a vegan dish that you can proudly serve at any party, potluck, get together, or just for you!
If you don’t like the idea of using store-bought vegan mayo, make a tofu mayo instead or a cashew mayo. There are a ton of recipes out there for these. You can also use half the amount of vegan mayo or leave it out all together and just use the tarragon vinegar for a dressing. I like it just the way it is for a party because a simple store-bought vegan mayo is easy to use if you are making tons of food for a party like I did.
I really want to get my daughter’s birthday cake recipe and tutorial up. I planned an all-out Safari Themed Party and would love to share my ideas with you – it was definitely a success! Here’s a picture of the cake so you can check it out…
I hope you enjoy my version of the traditional Waldorf Salad, it’s super easy to make and totally awesome.
- 2 cups Red Delicious apples, chopped
- 2 cups Bartlett pear, chopped
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup red grapes, halved
- ⅓ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise (Earth Balance Mindful Mayo)
- ¼ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp dried tarragon leaves
- 2 tbsp tarragon wine vinegar
- Sea Salt (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ground nutmeg (optional)
- Combine apples, pears, celery, walnuts, cranberries and grapes in a large serving bowl, set aside.
- Combine mayonnaise, tarragon wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and tarragon leaves in a medium bowl; mix well. Toss with apple mixture and season with sea salt(optional) and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Chill before serving. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg (optional) right before serving for a fall twist. Serve on top of fresh salad greens or on rolls.