What do you do when you get some beautiful eggplant from your first CSA pickup at your local organic farm? You do what I did – I made my favorite baked eggplant no-parm recipe! Did you know that eggplant parmesan has been my favorite food to eat pretty much my whole entire life? During each of my two pregnancies, it was my ultimate craving. I would dream about it at night and want it constantly! It’s still one of my favorite foods to eat and here is a healthier version I’ve created for you. It’s baked, not fried and I didn’t even add vegan cheese to it. I would have made a home-made cashew cheese for this, but I was out of cashews, so I just left it out. Guess what? The no-cheese factor was not even missed. I just baked the eggplant with store-bought low-sodium organic tomato sauce because I was out of home-made and didn’t have time to make any. Hey, and that makes it a lot easier for you too because we are all pressed for time in the kitchen with our busy lifestyles! For the kids and the hubby, I served it with some quinoa pasta and a side salad. I enjoyed mine over a bed of spring mix with fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Okay and I had a bite of the pasta, couldn’t resist. 😉 This recipe is fantastic either way folks! I hope you enjoy this recipe, we do.
Here’s a peek at all the wonderful produce, herbs and flowers we got from our CSA pickup last week.
My son can pretty much devour all that edamame himself, he loves it so much. I’m still trying to figure out what do with the okra, got any suggestions? I would love to pickle it, but I’ve never pickled anything before! Our next pickup is tomorrow and I can’t wait to see what we get and obviously my next blog post will be based around this. You can’t beat fresh, local and organic – I’m in heaven!
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 4 flax eggs
- 1 cup whole-wheat italian style breadcrumbs (I use the whole foods brand)
- 4 cups low-sodium store-bought tomato sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat. In a bowl combine 4 tbsp flax seed meal with 12 tbsp warm water and stir. Set aside to thicken.
- Fill a large sauté pan halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add eggplant slices and blanch for 4 minutes, turning once. Drain on a paper towel and allow to cool slightly.
- Dip eggplant slices in flax egg mixture, then dredge in breadcrumbs, season with some fresh black pepper. Place eggplant on baking sheets and bake until golden brown on bottom, 20-25 minutes. Turn slices and continue to bake for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from oven. Raise oven heat to 400 degrees F. Spread some sauce to cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Spread some sauce on the eggplant slices and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve with fresh basil on top.
What’s your favorite way to cook eggplant?
Have a fabulous day all!