Portobello Wellington

Portobello Wellington
with Shiitake Duxelle, Vanilla Glazed Baby Carrots and Roasted Red Potatoes
It was finally time to plan out a Vegan Dinner Menu to show all you doubters out there – you know who you are – that gourmet vegan is not only possible , but can stand up to its non-vegan counterparts. This recipe is only the beginning – I have so many recipes swimming through my head.  I even got someone who would never eat a mushroom to devour this – literally lick their plate clean – you know you have done it when that happens. This meal could not have come out any better and was well worth the planning and preparation. My old friend Beef Wellington can take a back seat to my new vegan version. Say hello to Portobello Wellington!
This dish is earthy, naturally sweet and full of flavor. Make this for your next dinner party and you will be sure to impress your friends.
Thank you to Tyler Florence’s Ultimate Beef Wellington recipe for baking times and duxelle inspiration.
This recipe is pretty easy to make as you can see.
Blend up your ingredients for the duxelles…

Add the mixture to a large sauté pan with a small amount of butter and veggie stock and cook for 10 minutes…

Slice your pastry into four equal parts…

Using a spoon, cover each mushroom with a layer of the duxelles…

Place a mushroom in center of each pastry sheet, cavity side up…

Fold pastry around the mushrooms and enclose entirely, press down lightly with fingers to make sure it is sealed tight.

Place mushrooms, with folded side down, on baking tray lined with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat…

Bake mushrooms in oven until pastry is golden brown for 20-25 minutes…

Serve with roasted red potatoes, glazed baby carrots and drizzle with red wine reduction…

Portobello Wellington with Shiitake Duxelle, Vanilla Glazed Baby Carrots and Roasted Red Potatoes
Recipe type: Entree
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 4
  • 4 Portobello mushrooms
  • 1 sheet vegan puff pastry (Aussie Bakery All Natural Puff Pastry Sheets)
  • 3½ ounce(s) of shiitake mushrooms
  • 1 cup(s) of white button mushrooms
  • 2 cup(s) of baby spinach
  • 3 small shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 2 sprigs fresh tarragon, stemmed
  • 6 red potatoes, cut into ½ inch pieces
  • 1 tbsp. of minced fresh parsley
  • 8 ounce(s) of baby carrots
  • ½ cup(s) of red wine
  • 1¾ cup(s) of no salt added vegetable stock
  • 3 tsp. of vegan butter
  • 2 tbsp. of date syrup
  • ¼ tsp. of pure vanilla extract
  • 2 pinch of freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp. of olive oil
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. For the Red Wine Sauce: Combine ½ cup red wine and 1 cup vegetable stock in small saucepan. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir in 1 tbsp date syrup and set aside. Reheat on low right before serving and drizzle over Wellington's.
  3. For the Roasted Red Potatoes: Combine potatoes, olive oil, ¼ cup vegetable stock, fresh parsley and black pepper in a small Pyrex or roasting pan and toss to coat potatoes. Roast 40 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Add extra vegetable stock if needed and stir occasionally to prevent sticking/burning.
  4. For the Duxelles: Add spinach, shiitake, button mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and tarragon to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add 2 tsp. Earth Balance Butter to a large sauté pan and set over medium heat. Add the mushroom mixture, ¼ cup vegetable stock and sauté for 10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season with a pinch of black pepper and set aside to cool.
  5. For the Glazed Baby Carrots: Combine 1 tbsp date syrup, vanilla and ⅓ cup vegetable stock in small bowl, stir to combine. Melt 1 tsp. Earth Balance butter to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add carrots and sauce; simmer on medium heat until carrots are cooked through about 20 minutes. Deglaze the pan with more vegetable stock if needed.
  6. For the Portobello Mushrooms: Gently scrap gills from Portobello mushrooms with a spoon. Place mushrooms on baking tray lined with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, set aside. Cut pastry sheet into 4 equal parts.Using a spoon, cover each mushroom with a layer of duxelles (make sure to fill the back cavity of the mushroom with the duxelles).
  7. Place a mushroom in center of each pastry sheet, cavity side up. Fold pastry around the mushrooms and enclose entirely, press down lightly with fingers to make sure it is sealed completely.Place mushrooms, with folded side down, on baking tray lined with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat. Bake mushrooms in 400 degree oven until pastry is golden brown for 20-25 minutes.

You can serve this with any sides of  your choosing. Any way you choose this recipe will be a hit for sure!

It's only fair to share...Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest17Share on Facebook7Share on Google+1Share on Tumblr0Share on StumbleUpon0

1. MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College says

You.Are.Awesome!!!! This is amazing. I have never had beef wellington (because it always sounded gross) but this looks so gooood. Definitely bookmarked :-)

2. Virtually Vegan Mama says

thanks Meg!

I had it a few times back in the day only with duxelle never foie gras (yuck) I'm glad I found a replacement! let me know when your try this…so good!

3. Virtually Vegan Mama says

Good morning Joanna,

I can't wait to make these again they are so yummy!

4. Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul says

This looks so yummy! I've never had beef anything, let alone Beef Wellington, but I'd be willing to give this Portobello Wellington a try any day. I love the vanilla roasted carrots too.

5. Virtually Vegan Mama says

Thanks Jenne,

I really love the way this recipe cam out. I love your blog too, I'm now following!

6. Virtually Vegan Mama says

Jennifer and Jess,

Thanks! THis meal came out great, my husband is begging for me to make it again this weekend!

Let me know how it works out for you if you make it :)

7. Anonymous says

YUM! From a couple of carnivores this was perfect and we didn't even miss the meat!

P.S. In the recipe it doesn't say when to add the spinach so we added it when we processed the mushroom duxelle.

8. Virtually Vegan Mama says

I'm glad you liked it, my husband wants me to make this again soon. Thanks for the heads up, you did what you were suppose to do 😉 and I made the changes. Thank you!

• Jennifer says

Thank you! I’m ready to make it again this weekend myself, my husband loves this recipe and it’s perfect for this cool weather we are having here. =)

9. Helen says

This looks absolutely amazing, looking forward to making this next week when we have friends round! Is there anything I could substitute the date syrup for though? (vegan friendly!) It’s not something I’ve ever seen in the UK!

10. Helen says

Maple syrup it is – we have that on pancakes every week so we always have a bottle in the fridge! Thank you for the link, I’ll get some so it’s there for the next time we make it! And yes, I’ll let you know how it goes! :o)

11. Helen says

Wow wow wow, it was amazing, thank you! Definitely being added to the favourites folder! I found the date syrup too, my health-food shop bad bottles of it.. (*feels slightly sheepish now*!)

• Jennifer says

I’m so glad you liked it =) was the ecipe easy to follow? let me know so I can fine-tune it if necessary..I’m so jealous you can buy date syrup at an actual store near you, I have to order mine…grrr…isn’t it amazing? thank you!

12. Donna Kohn says

I’m making this for my Valentine of 26 years. Can it be prepared ahead of time, before baking, or will the pastry get soggy?

• Jennifer says

Hi Donna =)

I would make the duxelle, the mushrooms and the red wine reduction ahead of time…but save the baking/puff pastry right before serving, it will get soggy for sure =) just slighty heat up the duxelle and mushrooms if you refrigerate before you wrap in the puff pastry…might affect baking time, don’t want an ice-cold center 😉

• Donna Kohn says

Made this last night with garlic mashed sweet potatoes and lightly steamed broccoli. It was a hit. Will definitely make it again!The wine sauce is awesome!

• Jennifer says

Thanks for letting me know how it came out :) glad it was a hit! I’m going to have to make this for my hubby this weekend.

13. says

I made the Portobello Wellington yesterday and it was a hit. My colleage always tries to find something new and now I could surprise her with this tasteful dish. I had no tarragon so I used a handful of chopped parsley instead. Also instead of shiitake I used soaked dried porcini mushrooms.
    The porcini mushrooms have a slightly stronger taste that I like very much.
    I combined the portobellos with this ‘Roasted Red Peppers’:http://focussedonfood.blogspot.nl/2012/12/roasted-red-peppers.html and ‘Parmesan Roasted Baby Potatoes’: http://www.homecookingadventure.com/recipes/parmesan-roasted-baby-potatoes. I put the Roasted Red Peppers on top of leftover mashed sweet potato.
    You can find a picture on my pinterest here:http://pinterest.com/turtledreams/veggies-only/
    Thanks Jennifer for this post! Tina from Boskoop, Netherlands

14. Maggie says

I made last night for our Christmas dinner. Oh my goodness, it was so delicious! I will definitely make it again for birthdays and special occasions! Thank you for this recipe!

15. says

Hi! This looks amazing! I’m juuuust starting to eat vegan so this is great!

I have a question, I’m going to make this for company and am wondering if I can assemble the wellington packets the day before and keep sealed up tight in the fridge until I want to bake them off?

16. Rachel says

I’m making the Portobello Wellington for a girls dinner tomorrow night! I’m not vegan, but it looks so delicious! I’m going to add a little goat cheese inside the puff pastry. I’ll let you know how it turns out! From reading all the reviews, I’m sure it will be amazing!

17. Rachel says

They were FABULOUS! My friends loved them! They look so fancy, too! Definitely a dish to impress people! 😉 If you are not vegan, here is what you should do: use beef stock instead of veggie stock, thicken up the sauce with a little butter and corn starch water mix, add goat cheese after the duxelle, add an egg wash to the portobello wellingtons before placing in the oven, and add a little melted butter right when they come out. I can’t wait for my husband to try the leftovers tonight for dinner!! Thanks for the recipe, Jennifer!

18. Michelle says

My son and his girlfriend live in Boston, where there is no shortage of fabulous vegan food. They came home for a visit, so the pressure was on. I made this for them and really knocked it out of the ballpark. Absolutely delicious and very beautiful to look at. Will definitely make this again when I want to impress. Thanks so much!

• Jennifer says

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me some feedback on this recipe…so glad it worked out for you…it is a great one if I do say so myself!! 😉

19. says

oh my gosh this is fantastic! I used to love chicken wellington but since switching to vegan I can’t imagine having it again. But I bet this is delicious and just the perfect thing to serve non-vegans for dinner!

• Jennifer says

Hi and Thank you! This recipe is really good, I made it for Thanksgiving and it’s also great to serve for non-vegans for dinner…everyone wins! Thanks so much for stopping by!

20. says

This was AH-MAZING. I’ve never had beef wellington but I cannot wait to make this again. We skipped the roasted potatoes (still had plenty of food!) and the glazed carrots were ridiculously tasty.

I can’t wait to make these again, even my boyfriend was happy to eat it!

• says

I also forgot to add that we took some of the reduced carrots and wrapped them in scraps of pastry then cooked the little ‘carrots in a blanket’ with the wellington. Dipped them in the reduction and they were super tasty as well!

21. Jmk says

I wonder if the chef at nyc’s narcissa saw this post and comments when he came up with “carrots Wellington”?

22. Jess says

We had a version of a Portabella Wellington served at our wedding (it was all vegetarian options). So I was very excited to see a recipe for this as it’s something I’ve never attempted. I didn’t see it in the recipe but I’ve never used puff pastry before, is an egg wash necessary (or a vegan alternative to egg wash)? Looks amazing, planning to make this tomorrow night 😉

• Jennifer says

Hi Jess, I didn’t use a vegan egg wash on the puff pastry, it has oil in it already and crisps up nice without it, IMO…=) Let me know how you like it, this is a great recipe 😉

• Jennifer says

I’ve been adding some diced apples to the mushroom duxelle with a small dash of cinnamon and it’s been wonderful, but it’s great just the way it is too…enjoy!!!

23. Susieq says

Made this for my daughter-in-law for Thanksgiving. She is the only vegan in the family and has been stuck with just a salad at celebrations. Made this a day ahead of time and it puffed up, browned and was AWESOME. My son is a Sous Chef and proclaimed it delicious. She’ll be having this again at another “celebration”!!! It was a fast and easy dish to prepare.

24. Cathy says

Looks absolutely exquisite! Can I make this a day in advance, refrigerate and bring to room temperature before cooking? Thanks!

25. Jennifer says

I would think that would be fine…I just made this for friends about a week ago and it’s really wonderful…I added diced apples to the duxelle and it was a nice touch…and instead of the red wine reduction, I did a vegan brown gravy…let me know how it works out for you!