Here’s my reinvented nutrient-rich NO MEAT version of my husband’s oh so delicious chili recipe that he has made for years. The verdict….dun dun dun! He loves it! WOOHOO! This actually is quit fabulous so if you haven’t made your game day chili yet make this one. It’s sure to be a hit at any Super Bowl Party! Try it out and let me know what you think (That’s all I’ve got for blogging today, back to my poor little 11 month old with a double ear infection and pink eye taboot…BOOOOO!). Oh, and make sure everything you use is no or low sodium! If canned beans have too much sodium, buy dry and soak beans 6-8 hours in water. This is the best way to cut the sodium out. =)
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 1 large red bell pepper, (chopped)
- 4-5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 (8 oz/226g) carton button mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into ½-inch/1 cm pieces)
- 1 (28 oz/794g) can diced tomatoes, regular or fire-roasted (undrained)
- 1 (28 oz/794g) can crushed tomatoes, regular or fire-roasted
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz/424g) can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 oz/424g) can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 oz/424g) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium jalapeno (chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon mexican chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- handful of fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Daiya Dairy-free Cheddar Style Shreds or other dairy-free cheddar substitute
- Heat a large stockpot on medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Add two tablespoons of water and stir. Sauté for 5 minutes adding a little more water when needed so not to burn the vegetables.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, but leave out the beans. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and stir. Continue to cook uncovered for 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro and vegan cheddar shreds.